Friday, April 11, 2008

A soldier's response to being called part of a cult

This was the letter I read on the show from Major Joe DeCree in response to Jacqueitch's blog post on Wednesday of this past week. I hope it means something to you. It did to me. GS

I was not able to listen to the guest spot that he responded to but I heard your reading of his blog and I then read his post to make sure that I got it right. I read his blog comments and I am sitting at my desk shaking.

I at first got angry, of course. Such talk is outlandish and even dangerous. How dare that man who clearly aspires to little make light of a brave Navy SEAL who yesterday was awarded a posthumous medal of honor when he blew himself up to save his buddies.

Cultists do not die for their fellows. They certainly are not concerned with saving their fellows. How dare Jacque Itch diminish that man. I find such a man who would say those things as a man without honor. It's one thing to think of something in a moment of anger it is quite another to take the time to craft a lengthy message which is delivered anonymously and in cowardly fashion on a blog read by hundreds. Jacque Itch is such a man it would seem.

Jacque Itch, if you are out there you are a man without honor and I hope never to make your acquaintance. You cannot apologize enough for your statements. I can give nothing else you say credence perhaps in perpetuity.

The second feeling I experienced after reading that was overwhelming despair. I made the military my life. I read the Constitution regularly because I swore an oath to uphold it. I re-read my oath of office frequently for the same reason. I missed my families birthdays. I missed my anniversary every year because I married in June and the Army is always in the field in June. I missed a few Christmases. I missed retirement parties, I do not know my brother's children because I was always gone. I missed my oldest daughter's last 3 years of high school because I was overseas for almost that entire period. The deployments nearly cost me my marriage. And , oh yeah, I got shot at -- a lot.

Why did I and thousands like me go through all of that? I did it for the Republic. I did it for my brother's children, I did it for my own children. I even did it for Jacque Itch. I did it so that we get to be what we want.

I did not care about Usama bin Laden. I knew I would never see him in the flesh so any personal attachment to that man is pointless. I did it for my men who under 8 years of the Clinton's went from a proud fighting force to buying the diesel fuel for military vehicles with their own money so we could make training exercises. Doesn't sound much like a cultist to me.

But today Jacque Itch set me straight. I spent 22 years being an automaton. I spent 22 years not trying to teach young men and women how to be better than what they were, but simply brainwashing more automatons. I did not defend the Republic. I instead apparently wasted my life and lived a lie. Words fail me, I cannot describe what I am feeling right now I only hope never to feel it again. Screw you, Jacque Itch.

-- Maj. Joe DeCree, US Army (Ret.)

1 comment:

Just Fred said...

I'm not saying Joe DeCree fits this mold because I really don't know the man, but here's a story about a guy who wanted everyone to see him as a martyr.

He taught school, got married, had two kids. He told himself he was sacrificing for his family as he taught all day, coached both in the fall and winter getting home at 6:30 or 8pm from practices and later if there was a meet/match that day. To top it off he umpired in the spring and summer taking him away from home. All the while his two little girls and nieces and nephews were growing up.

He was sure that his sacrifices were justified. When his wife complained about all the time he was away, his reply would be, "But look at all I'm doing for you and the girls." He just couldn't understand why they didn't appreciate all the 'extra' stuff he was doing for them.

Finally, his wife asked for a divorce and he was stunned. He just couldn't believe it, because afterall, he was doing all this for them! His girls were 4 and 8 at the time.

Anyhow, looking back he had to face the truth: He was away in the evenings and weekends because he was selfish about wanting to do what made HIM feel important. He enjoyed his colleagues, coaches, and athletes more than he could relate to his own family.

It was a tough pill to swallow for him. I know all about this guy because the guy was me.

Again, I'm not making judgements about Mr. DeCree, but some of his comments reminded me of myself.