Saturday, January 3, 2009

More Random Thoughts!

I promised some random thoughts, interesting or not, so here are a few more observations:

We didn't sell out on my old show when we went 6-9. It was economics. The radio industry sucks right now, but unlike so many others, the bailout money doesn't seem to be coming to help us. We have to cut back, take losses, streamline, do with less, and generally re-invent some things. In my case, that means adapting to a new time and expanding what the original show was by becoming more concise with valuable information, and more variety. Two of my colleagues lost their jobs because of this effort while I kept mine, so I take this morning drive opportunity seriously knowing that in my business, any day could be my last. For those of you who actually listen, WSBA has allowed me to have a free reign in that process. Anyway, I am rather enjoying trying to provide a different kind of vehicle for news and views.

Should Maybe Senator Roland Burris of Illinois be allowed to be seated in the Senate this week? If you go by the law, the answer is , Yes. If you use perception, the feedback is a resounding NO for Governor Blagoyavich's choice. Frankly, isn't this just Illinois-type politics with just a little bit more gall and brashness than usual?

State Senator Bobby Rush, an black man from Illinois, indicated last week that Barack Obama's former senate seat needs to be filled by a Black man. In this time of post-racial America, isn't that a bit of hippocracy at least, and at most racism. Wow, whatever happened to "a person shoulod be judged by content of character; not color of skin"? Mr. Rush went on to note that there would be a senate without any black members if the replacement for Obama, Mr. Burris, is not sent to D.C. What a problem? Can you imagine if we were to have a vacancy here in PA, and Governor Rendell was compelled to choose a white man because a white man had occupied that seat. Anyone say "racism?" Oh, I forgot, racism ony runs one way, though. All else is just getting even, right?

Other thoughts:

Is failing still ok in this country?

Maybe the government should have bailed out the "Big Four" in Detroit. That's GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the Detroit Lions (0-16 in the NFL; I knew they could do it.) in case you are wondering.

Does anyone know what the "G" commercial on tv with Muhammad Ali, Derek Jeter, and the mimes is all about? I haven't gotten it yet.

I saw the "Almost" commercial with the lonely elderly lady sitting by herself, and the voice in the background telling us that "someone almost brought her food; almost visited; almost took her to the doctor, and so on." It occurred to me that most people are very charitable and help others on their own. Do we really need the Ad-Council laying the daily guilt trip on us? Knock it off!

Lest you think I am cold-hearted, I really enjoyed driving kettle workers out and back to their sites during the holiday season. (One of the reasons I was remiss in my blogging responsibilities. I'm sure there is a commercial out there showing a blogger waiting in a rocking chair with a pc in front of him , and a voice somberly intoning, "Today, he almost received a blog from Sutton....") Anyway, I met so many joyful people who in many cases didn't have much in tangible wealth, but were incredibly rich in happiness. The stories we shared, and friendships we built were ones I will continue to try and cultivate, learny by, and remember.

Meeting the Glen Rock Carolers on their 161st Anniversary at sunrise Christmas morning is one of the simplest, most awesome Christmases my wife and I have ever had. The silence and beauty of meeting with others around a tree at 6 in the morning is an experience each of you should try some Christmas.

Burl Ives singing anything about Christmas still sucks.

My New Year's Eve present is news that I have bone on bone in my right knee, and torn cartilage as well. I've got to get a knee replacement, because my quality of life since the auto accident in April has disintegrated gradually. I'm losing weight, so I can get the replacement, and feel better in late January or early February. Happy New Year, huh? Anyone ever have one of those things? I guess I'm about to find out.

My wife and I broke down and got a 32" Flat Screen tv and a Wii. Picture looks better and Wii is addictive.

Jay's salads (I said I'm losing weight.) over at Jay's WOW Cafe and Wingery are the best around, especially with grilled chicken.

Emceeing the opening night of Christmas Magic at Rocky Ridge Park this year was one of the neatest things I've ever had the chance to do. Asking 250 little children and adults to countdown and help perform magic by pointing at trees, then seeing 400,000 lights come on in six different locations was cool.

I wish you all a Happy New Year, and hope to be more than just "an almost blogger."

No comments: