Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tuesday's Tech Tip: Replace Adobe Acrobat with Foxit Reader

Do you enjoy the running bloated software that takes forever to load a PDF file? If so, skip this week's Tech Tip. Catch up on older tips instead.

For everyone else, start using the free Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Acrobat. Foxit Reader is a light-weight and fast substitute for Adobe Acrobat.

I like to install Adobe Acrobat and then Foxit Reader, so Foxit Reader is my default PDF viewer. This means I have Acrobat on my system for the (unlikely) event that I have to use it for something, but everything defaults to Foxit Reader.

Did I mention the word free?

Link to Foxit Reader

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Jay.

On a related tech note...do you use Sunbird for your calendar? My most recent install is a little buggy and is, well, bugging me.

Jay said...

I use Outlook (it syncs with my Blackberry) and about a million scraps of paper taped to my monitor.

I use Rainlendar on one of my PC's, pulling info from Outlook, including tasks. I like it set to transparent mode because it's unobtrusive and always there.

You might want to consider using Google Calendar and pulling the infor into something like Rainlendar (requires the pay version of Rainlendar) or a Google widget.

What OS are you using?

Anonymous said...

I'm running vista on the computer in question (my laptop).

I have been using Lightning with Thunderbird, but I am upgrading to a Palm Centro and entering the sync world for the first time. The Centro won't sync with Lightning. Sunbird, in theory, will. Plus you can get google calendars on there, too.

The problems I am having with Sunbird are more annoyances than anything. For example, when I click on a day to set an appointment, the date that comes up is the following day. It's easy enough to reset the day before saving, but it's a pain to have to do it.

Jay said...

I'd be tempted to switch to Google Calendar, but I really don't know -- I haven't used a Palm device in a couple years and have no idea what they natively sync with these days.

Jay said...

reality, see if this lifehacker article helps.